Monday, May 25, 2009

The Future is Friendly

As I write this, I am comfortably riding the bus. I remember a day when I didn't even have text messaging on my phone, now I have the whole Internet.

I recently upgraded to a 3G network phone and discovered the joy of tethering to my laptop. Now, I've got the whole Internet anywhere I have cell coverage, at speeds faster than regular dial up and for many things as good as high speed dsl.

But that wasn't good enough. When I'm going to see my parents on a Saturday afternoon I don't want to carry my laptop around. I played around with a couple of different mobile apps, and with Windows Mobile there is a lot of choice.

At some point I stumbled upon Skyfire. www.skyfire.com. This incredibly cool browser works to minimize bandwidth and maximize the mobile browsing experience. Java? Check. Flash? Eat your heart out iPhone. Nearly everything you could want. About the only exception are applications that require click and drag.

Unfortunately, this includes my website www.oistr.com which can only offer limited functionality. My point is that when you don't have to pack around a laptop and you can access the Internet from your phone the face of travel is going to be changed forever.

In the future, accessing our site from a phone will let you find the nearest bar or restaurant to your location, complete with pictures, price range and user comments. Additional functionality may include the ability to upload your pictures and videos directly from your phone, reserve restaurant seats or car rentals or book a bus tour or scenic flight.

Have you ever been standing around in a city not sure what you want to do? We aim to solve that problem by letting you see what other users are doing in real-time. If you're a surfer you'll be able to see which beaches are busy, a skateboarder, you'll see where the skate parks are or where the popular jumps are. If you're a middle aged European couple you can find the best lookouts and restaurants.

Telus is a phone company in Canada and their slogan is "the future is friendly". Seeing as how they are going to be providing many users with the mobile ability to do all of these things, I have to agree with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment