Thursday, February 19, 2009

Mounting a Projector, How Hard Could It Be?

Ok, this seems off topic, but it actually isn't at all.

This is about small business. We bought the projector, even bought the proper screen and telescoping ceiling mount for it.

Do we want to spend the extra $250 to have it properly installed? Pfft, no.

Projector, $900, screen, $225, mount off ebay, $75, blood sweat and tears during installation? Priceless. Ok, I was being dramatic there were no blood or tears - but lots of sweat.

The screen goes up fairly easy. We are in a very old building that has concrete ceilings and standard office type foam panels above our heads. These panels are held up by wires that run into the cement so it wasn't difficult to tie more wire to a couple of these anchors and dangle the screen down.

Well, we can't get around it this time. The projector mount has to be carefully positioned and there are no existing anchors to bolt it to. That's it, we have to put holes in the concrete. How hard can that be?

Well, the holes weren't a problem. Any idiot can mark the spots and start drilling. I didn't know I needed special bits and an impact drill, but I found out quite quickly. This is code for "hilarity ensues".

Skipping along, with the proper equipment I go ahead and sink the holes effortlessly. As concrete showers my clothing and hair in a fine dust that a only requires a couple showers to get out, the impact drill goes into the concrete like butter.

Next, my first experience with concrete anchors. Things that look like nails only the heads are flared and have a hollow tube designed to be pushed over the flare to widen and pull tight have been provided.

Seems simple enough. But wait, this drill bit seems a bit small and this one is clearly too big, well, I guess I'll just have to lightly hammer it in. No, that didn't work.

Now I've got a stud that is jammed hopelessy in the hole, won't come out (good job, anchor!) and is in the way of the mount. Well, I'll just rotate the mount and try again.

Drill, drill, drill (more fine concrete in the hair and clothes). Tap, tap, Strike two. Two very solid metal anchors sticking out of the concrete.

Rotate the mount again. Two out of four are broken. If I don't get it right now I'm in a bit of trouble.

Drill, drill. Tap, tap. Wow, I managed to not completely screw it up. Only 50%.

Cut a hole in the ceiling tile and shebang! Professional job.

No ladders or drills were harmed during the making of this episode. My head and my ego however...

No comments:

Post a Comment